Shakeology Protein Shake vs Protein Shakes
The Beachbody Shakeology shake is often hard to define.
- Is it a meal replacement shake?
- Is it a protein shake?
- Is it a supplement?
The reason it’s hard to define Shakeology is because:
- It can be as filling as a meal replacement shake.
- Offers more protein than most protein shakes.
- And offers several other nutrient groups not found in meal replacement or protein shakes.
Instead, the “Shakeology protein shake” is a total health shake that carries with it the benefits of a protein shake.
Protein shakes have been shown to be beneficial:
- For endurance athletes, protein shakes help the body recover from intense exercise. Protein shakes help by restoring muscle glycogen, a fuel source for exercise, which gets used up during workouts.1
- For the strength athletes, protein shakes help repair damage to muscles that can occur with serious bodybuilding.
- For the general fitness enthusiast who works out hard but doesn’t want to be a marathon runner or bodybuilder, protein has been shown to help4:
- Build and repair muscles.
- Reduce hunger and food cravings.
- Promote ideal blood sugar levels.
- Support brain function to help promote alert thinking and a positive mood.
- Promote healthy skin, hair, and nails.
If you’re working out, a protein shake or protein supplement will be a huge benefit to your fitness goals.
Here, we’ll go over the Shakeology protein content vs protein shakes to better understand the differences.
What is the Shakeology protein powder made from?
Although Shakeology has a huge list of ingredients, we’re only going to focus on the Shakeology protein content.
There are four flavors of Shakeology with two different protein sources:
- Vegan Shakeology protein shakes
- Tropical Strawberry
- Chocolate Vegan
- Non-Vegan Shakeology protein shakes
Vegan Shakeology Protein Powder Content:
It is important to note that Shakeology does not use a Soy Protein because of the difficulties of getting a Non-GMO Soy Protein source.
For Shakeology to maintain the title of “The Healthiest Meal of the Day”, not use anything artificial, and not use genetically modified organisms; Shakeology uses a blended brown rice protein with pea protein.
The blended brown rice protein with pea protein are a complete protein source with high levels of lysine and methionine. These two very important amino acids are often limited in most plant-based diets.
Along with brown rice protein and pea protein, Shakeology also has sacha inchi, chia, quinoa, flax, amaranth, and spirulina.
Side Health Notes:
Ingredients which have been genetically modified have been shown to increase allergies and human exposure to pesticides.2
Unfermented soy, from which soy protein isolate is derived, mimics the hormone estrogen in your body and as such can cause many dangerous health issues including infertility and birth defects.3
Non-Vegan Shakeology Protein Powder Content:
Instead of using whey protein concentrates like other protein shakes, Shakeology includes whey protein isolates to give you maximum protein support.
Why Whey Protein isolates in Shakeology instead of a concentrate?4
- Whey protein is a high-quality complete protein with rich amounts of all the essential and branched-chain amino acids.
- Isolates are purer than concentrates, containing 90% or more protein.
- Concentrates contain between 29% and 89% protein.
- Whey protein isolates are the purest form of whey protein, which is why they’re assimilated so quickly and efficiently into the body.
- Isolates contain very little, if any, fat and lactose.
- Isolates are a great choice if you’re lactose intolerant, or if you experience bloating or other problems associated with concentrates.
Both Vegan & Non-Vegan Shakeology Contain the Superfood: Sacha Inchi
Not only is sacha inchi a great source of protein, it’s also a superfood.
Which makes this Shakeology ingredient twice as good for you:
- An organic vegetable protein that’s easily assimilated.
- Naturally rich in good fats and fiber, which help control your appetite.
- Helps promote the body’s natural anti-inflammatory response.
- Has a high concentration of omega fatty acids—providing a perfect balance of omega-3, omega-6, and omega-9.
How much Protein is in Shakeology?
- Shakeology Tropical Strawberry (Vegan) – 16 grams of protein
- Shakeology Chocolate Vegan – 16 grams of protein
- Shakeology Chocolate – 17 grams of protein
- Shakeology Greenberry – 16 grams of protein
Check out the Nutritional Label for each, below:
- Tropical Strawberry Shakeology
- Chocolate Vegan Shakeology
- Chocolate Shakeology
- Greenberry Shakeology
Shakeology Protein Shake VS. Protein Shakes:
As mentioned earlier, Shakeology is a total health shake that does not compromise the integrity of their ingredients.
In fact, Beachbody refuses to make a Vanilla Shakeology flavor because it’s impossible to combine the 70+ superfoods without artificial flavoring. Check out the video here: Not so “Natural Vanilla” Flavors…
With that said, Shakeology provides:
- Essential Amino Acids and Protein
- Prebiotics and Digestive Enzymes
- Vitamins and Minerals
The nutrients found in Shakeology allows it to be more versatile than a protein shake.
- Shakeology has helped people lose weight.
- Shakeology has helped people fill in their nutritional gaps from not eating their daily fruits and vegetables.
- Shakeology has given people more energy.
- Shakeology has even help people with their cholesterol and blood pressure.
Check out the video below to better understand What is Shakeology:
Shakeology Review: Shakeology vs. Protein Powder and Multi-Vitamins
Other Options over the Shakeology Protein Shake:
If you’re only interested in a protein shake or a post workout recovery drink, then here’s a much cheaper option.
Beachbody created the P90X Results and Recovery formula to be used as a post workout recovery drink.
The P90X Results and Recovery formula is not only for people doing P90X. Instead, it’s for anyone doing a intense workout program.
Whether you are doing P90X, Insanity, Turbo Fire, Insanity: Asylum, Les Mills: Combat, or any other workout like running or lifting weights in a gym; you’ll need to refuel your body right.
Beachbody’s P90X Results and Recovery Formula was developed specifically to give you that fuel after you workout.
- Helps you refuel, re-energize, and reduce muscle soreness.
- Contains the accepted ratio of four parts carbohydrates to one part protein to support speedy and complete recovery.
- Simple and complex carbohydrates to support optimum blood sugar and glycogen replenishment.
- A high Protein Efficiency Ratio (PER) protein blend to provide critical amino acid building blocks for rapid muscle repair and growth
- Vitamins, including antioxidants, which assist in tissue repair and growth.
Studies show that with proper nutrition during the first hour following a workout you can increase your body’s ability to recover more than 100%. The key component to maximizing this “window of opportunity” is a formulation of approximately 4 parts carbohydrates to 1 part protein.
Thoughts on the Shakeology Protein Shake:
The Beachbody Shakeology shake is a amazing health shake that provides as much protein as a protein shake.
Shakeology will not only give you the protein you need to recover from a tough workout but also delivers:
- Prebiotics and Digestive Enzymes
- Vitamins and Minerals
And, because of these additional nutrition groups in Shakeology, people have experienced the following benefits:
I drink Shakeology every day and use P90X Results and Recovery when I do a tough workout like P90X or Insanity.
I highly recommend Shakeology because of the extraordinary health benefits you’ll enjoy from a All Natural Superfood shake.
Order your Shakeology today with Monthly Auto-ship to get FREE Shipping!
There’s are no sign up fees or cancellation fees with monthly auto-ship (home direct).
Feel free to contact me with any questions.
Have a great day!
Work With Me – Leaders Only
P.S. If you are looking for a way to increase your fitness, nutrition, social, and even occupational wellness, be sure to start with a FREE Team Beachbody Account and you will get support, motivation, and gain access to free tools to keep you on track with your wellness goals.
1 Protein shakes – http://www.webmd.com/diet/protein-shakes
2 Non-GMO Project - http://www.nongmoproject.org
3 This “Miracle Health Food” Has Been Linked to Brain Damage and Breast Cancer – http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/09/18/soy-can-damage-your-health.aspx
4 Shakeology: The Science – http://myshakeology.com/CoachJulio26/the-science
Filed under: Shakeology Ingredients
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!