The following question often comes up: “Is Shakeology a meal replacement or protein shake”? It’s very good question to consider because this will effect how you use Shakeology and possibly even the Shakeology results that you get. So, let’s dig into this question deeper.
What is a meal replacement shake?
First, let us better define what a meal replacement is. This way we can better tell the difference between Shakeology and meal replacement shakes. Here the most common attributes to meal replacement shakes:
- Low in Calories – Most meal replacement shakes range around 300 calories and sometimes a little more.
- Protein – Normally lower than a protein shake, however, protein is an important ingredient in meal replacement shakes because they help you feel fuller longer, increases your metabolism, and maintain your muscles. In fact, research has shown that a high protein diet results in weight loss because it makes you feel fuller.
- Low Carbs – Look for meal replacement shakes that are low in carbs so that you won’t have any trouble losing weight.
- Very Low/No Sugar – Too much sugar will increase your blood glucose and insulin levels, which will inhibit fat burning.
- High in Fiber – A good meal replacement shake will contain at least 3-5 grams of fiber in order to help you feel fuller longer and to help your digestive system.
- Vitamins and Minerals – Since you are trying to lose weight, a good meal replacement shake will contain Vitamins and Minerals. This way your boy doesn’t suffer from malnutrition while being on a calorie restrictive diet.
These are the minimum requirements to be a pretty good meal replacement shake. Additionally, as we learned from “5 Dangers of Protein & Meal Replacement Shakes“, you’ll want to look into the following when picking a meal replacement or protein shake:
5 Dangers of Meal Replacement and Protein Shakes
- Buying Supplements on Online Market Places – Many places online have been found to sell fake/counterfeit supplements, for example Amazon.com, according to a Natural News Exclusive regularly have fake supplements being sold with any regulation.
- Only Looking for the “All Natural” Label – Natural DOES NOT guarantee “natural”. The FDA allows loopholes in what is allowed to be called “natural”. For example, use of beaver anal glands extraction used as a “natural” vanilla substitution.
- Soy Based Proteins – Soy products are often genetically modified (GMOs) and have been found to disrupt hormones in people.
- Avoid Common Fillers That Can Be Dangerous To Your Health – Many meal replacement and protein shakes contain useless “fillers” like maltodextrin, fibersol, sucrose, corn syrup solids, hydrogenated oils, and/or fructose. Many of these can effect how easy it is to reach your fitness goals.
- Where Do The Ingredients Come From?- Again, make sure you understand where the ingredients in your shake come from so that you can live a healthier life.
Good, now we have an idea of what a meal replacement shake should include… What about a protein shake?
What Is A Protein Shake?
Protein shakes severe a different purpose than meal replacement shakes. Protein shakes are not designed for weight loss, instead they are designed to help you gain muscle mass. This is important because when you exercise, your muscles are broken down a little. In order for your body to repair this damage and build the muscles back bigger and stronger, protein is required.
However, getting enough protein in your diet can be a little tough. Most experts agree that you need around one gram of protein per pound of body weight or two grams per kilogram.
There are several different sources of protein however:
- Whey protein – Whey is the most common protein source and often the best. However, those allergic to diary may want to try something else.
- Caseinate – Caseinate is a slow-releasing protein and is best used for nighttime.
- Egg protein – Egg protein is a great alternative to whey protein, however, some people have digestive issues with egg protein. Egg protein often causes excess, smelly gas and doesn’t taste the best.
- Soya protein – A alright vegetarian protein source if you can’t get anything else. Soy is normally not recommended because it’s genetically modified and can disrupt hormonal balances.
- Hemp protein – A better option than Soya, however, can be a little expensive.
- Pea and rice protein – This is another expensive protein but is the best protein source for vegetarians because it offers a huge array of essential amino acids.
Protein Shakes tend to focus on only having protein. A typical protein shake will include 15 to 30 grams or more of protein. You can, however, add other ingredients to your protein shake like fruits, peanut butter, or coconut oil, but this will turn your protein shake into more of a weight gainer or meal replacement shake.
Thus, most protein powders are designed to be mixed with just a little water or milk to keep the emphasis on protein.
According to WebMD, here are The Main Reasons You May Consider Choosing a Protein Shake:
- When You’re Growing – Teenagers require more protein when working out because their bodies are still growing and tend to use more protein in general.
- When You’re Starting a Workout Program – If working out is new to you and you’re trying to build muscle, you’ll require more protein than you normally would.
- When Increase the Intensity of Your Workout – Already working out but you want to workout longer or get a tough workout? Then you’ll need more protein…
- When You’re Recovering From an Injury – Protein is needed to help heal muscles.
- If You’re Going Vegan – People who pursue a vegan or vegetarian lifestyle eliminate a number of common protein sources from their diet, including meat, chicken, and fish, and sometimes dairy and eggs as well.
Is Shakeology a Meal Replacement or Protein Shake?
Back to our main question today: “Is Shakeology a Meal Replacement or Protein Shake?”…
I could almost argue for either case, however, it’s difficult to categorize Shakeology as simple one or the other… I’ll explain below why…
First, is Shakeology a protein shake?… Based on what we stated above, yes, Shakeology has a good amount of protein in every shake. Averaging about However, because Shakeology offers several other nutrients, it’s NOT solely a protein shake. Yet, it can be used kind of like a protein shake because of the amount of protein in Shakeology.
Secondly, is Shakeology a meal replacement shake?…Well, if Shakeology isn’t a protein shake, it must be a meal replacement shake. Right? Here are some clues to Shakeology being a meal replacement shake:
- Low in Calories – Shakeology ranges in calories from 130 – 170 calories depending on the flavor. The calories are lower than most meal replacements. Some may want to add calories by adding nut butters, fruits, almond milk, or other healthy options.
- Protein – Shakeology ranges from 16-17 grams of protein depending on the flavor. Shakeology contains more protein than the average meal replacement.
- Low Carbs – Total carbs in Shakeology ranges from 13 to 18 grams. This is a little high but still better than most meal replacement shakes.
- Very Low/No Sugar – Shakeology ranges from 6 to 8 grams of sugar. This is a little higher than some meal replacement shakes as well. However, there are some meal replacements that are higher than 20 grams of sugar.
- High in Fiber – Shakeology ranges from 3-6 grams of fiber depending on the flavor. This is a fair amount of fiber.
- Vitamins and Minerals – Every non-vegan flavor is fortified with vitamins and minerals. The Vegan flavors are kept pure so it’s not fortified, instead the vitamin and mineral content comes from the whole food ingredients. Thus, vitamins and minerals are not stated on Vegan flavors because it varies by every batch.
So, what is the difference between Shakeology and meal replacement shakes?…
As we have seen, Shakeology leans more towards being a meal replacement shake than a protein shake because of all the nutrients found in Shakeology. Yet, don’t be fooled. Shakeology offers a lot more than the average meal replacement shake, here’s what really make Shakeology different from other meal replacement shakes:
- Protein and Essential Amino Acids to help build muscle and reduce food cravings.
- Prebiotics, Probiotics and Digestive Enzymes, which aid in improving digestion, regularity, and nutrient absorption.
- Adaptogens that help promote a strong immune system, increase energy, protect your body from stress, and balance your endocrine hormones and the immune system.
- Antioxidants and Phytonutrients (plant-sourced ingredients) to help maintain health.
- And 23 Vitamins and Minerals your body needs to function for optimal health.
Click here to see all the Shakeology ingredients… Additionally, Shakeology is made only whole-food sources. Meaning, Shakeology is NOT synthesized in a lab. Check out the video below to get a better comparison between Shakeology vs Other Meal Replacements:
I hope it’s becoming clear, from everything above, that Shakeology is not your average meal replacement nor protein shake. Instead, Shakeology reviews will agree, that Shakeology is premium health shake. Order your Shakeology below…
Submit your review
Before Beachbody I was not happy with the way I looked. I wore clothes that were frumpy and hid the rolls. I didn’t really care what I wore because nothing looked good anyway. I lost 45 pounds with several Beachbody programs and Shakeology... I am a 365er with Shakeology. I have noticed that since I started Shakeology I feel energized. I look forward to it every morning. I love the Performance line as well. Using Energize and Hydrate to help push through the workouts everyday but, I look forward to Recover after my workout the most. It is super delicious and it’s nice not to wake up wanting to die after a hard workout.
I drink Shakeology everyday and it has given me so many benefits. I have loads of energy, sleep better, no longer have cravings, my digestion and regularity have improved drastically, I have a better mindset on life in general, and I am able to focus on tasks with more clarity now. Bonus: I JUST LOVE IT!!!
Shakeology has helped fill in the holes that my nutrition was missing. I have gained energy and definitely improved my digestion. I love that when I’m in a hurry I can just shake it and go. I fills me up and keeps me from needing to grab fast food when I’m out and about.
Before I started with Beachbody in 2016, I was run-down, tired, unhappy, and didn’t like who I was. I had no energy to play with my kids, and I was so ashamed of who I was that I rarely left the house... Man, all I can say now is I love my Shakeology! It gives me energy, curbs my hunger, and I don’t crave junk food at all. I look forward to it everyday!
Before starting Beachbody I had hit an all time low in my life. I was so sad and hated myself. I didn’t like what I had let myself become, and I was physically so unhealthy. I couldn’t walk 100 yards without feeling winded and out of breath, it was a chore to go up and down steps, and I couldn’t even bend over to tie my shoes. I didn’t like going places other than work because I was so embarrassed to see people who knew me before I looked like this.... I lost 54 lbs with 21 Day Fix, The Master’s Hammer and Chisel, FOCUS T25, Shakeology, and the Beachbody Performance supplements.... And I can’t say enough about Shakeology! Love it! It’s helped with my energy level and my digestive system!