There’s often a lot of confusion about meal replacement shakes and protein shakes on the market. Unfortunately, not all shakes are created equal. Some are very cheaply made and are designed to get the job done without thought of a person’s overall health. Whereas, some are premium shakes that are designed to get the job done AND help you with your health.
If you’re looking for a protein or meal replacement that is good for your health and will get the job done, then here are a few things to watch out for:
1. Buying Supplements on Online Market Places – A Natural News Exclusive discovered that Amazon.com sellers often sell fake, counterfeit nutritional products to unsuspecting consumers. This is largely due to Amazon’s inability to verify counterfeit sellers from legitimate distributors.
It even stated that counterfeit sellers often change their account names and can easily abuse Amazon’s star system to make them look like the real deal. Although the article was limited to Amazon.com, the same can be said about other online markets like Ebay.com, Craigslist.com, and so on because they also don’t have policies in place to verify nutritional supplements.
2. Only Looking for the “All Natural” Label – Be careful when a meal replacement shake or protein shake calls itself to be “Natural”. The FDA is not strict about what is considered natural and not natural. As a result, many protein and meal replacement shakes use FDA loop holes to fool unsuspecting consumers.
For example, NextNature had the following to say about Natural Flavorings:
“Any flavor derived from edible sources can be labeled a natural flavor. Therefore, vanilla made from bacterial fermentation of corn or rice bran is a “natural” vanilla flavor – just not “real” vanilla flavor.”
Additionally, according to Parents.com,
“In the United States, Castoreum [derived from the anal glad of beavers] has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a food additive, often referenced simply as a ‘natural flavoring’ in the product’s list of ingredients. It is commonly used in both food and beverages, especially as vanilla and raspberry flavoring.”
In short, “Natural” doesn’t always mean what you think or want. As a result you can be drinking a Vanilla shake and there doesn’t need to be any Vanilla bean in it according to the FDA. Instead, it’s ok to have a secretion from the anal glands of beavers for vanilla flavoring!
3. Soy Based Proteins – Many protein drinks and meal replacements make use of soy protein concentrate or soy protein isolate in conjunction with other proteins. Over 90% of the soy produced in the USA is GMO – but that’s not the only reason to avoid soy protein.
When soy is looked at from a macronutrient perspective, it can give the illusion of a very healthy food – full of plant based protein, essential amino acids and fiber. However, the soy that is grown and produced today is largely hybridized, making the amino acids largely indigestible leading to digestive issues that have caused many people to be allergic to soy.
What’s worse is when soy is isolated to just its protein state, it becomes severely denatured and can cause hormonal disruptions because of the excessive amount of estrogen contained in it. Soy also has an abundance of phytic acid that leeches calcium and other vital minerals from your body.
In short, stay away from soy based meal replacement shakes and protein shakes.
4. Avoid Common Fillers That Can Be Dangerous To Your Health – Many meal replacement and protein shakes contain useless “fillers” like maltodextrin, fibersol, sucrose, corn syrup solids, hydrogenated oils, and/or fructose.
Many of these fillers can actually keep you from reaching your muscle gain goals or from losing the body fat that you desire. In fact, of these fillers, maltodextrin is the worst of them all and is most commonly used.
Maltodextrin is nothing more than a blend of the sugars maltose and dextrose formulated from corn starch. The problem is that maltodextrin really has no nutritional value. In fact, maltodextrin has a glycemic index of 158. (To put this into perspective, table sugar is 80!!) Several clinical studies have concluded that these types of sugars easily convert to fatty acids in the body.
Additionally, Maltodextrin can be used to make a substance like “fibersol”, which is treated to create a fiber your body simply can’t digest and makes you feel artificially full. As a result, it has zero long term health benefits.
5. Where Do The Ingredients Come From? – While we covered a lot about the ingredients in the shakes we drink, we can take it still a step further and ask where the nutrition is coming from.
In the past, and still today, many shakes are created in the lab. Put together isolates, a few other things for flavor, and done. As we aim to get healthier, many shakes are now going towards using super foods and other whole food sources.
If you’re looking for a healthy shake that will help you lose weight and improve your health, then make sure you know where the nutrition is coming from. Is it from a lab or is it more based from nature. Make sure to do your research into the health shake and also the company.
Now the questions is: How would you like a simple health shake that is created with over 70 superfood ingredients from around the world and has help 1,000’s people lose weight and gain back control of their healthy?
Since we’re talking about ingredients, then here’s a great video covering what’s in a premium health shake that will improve your health, Shakeology:
Check out this In Depth Shakeology Review if you want to know more about Shakeology. Or check out the Shakeology reviews below from everyday people…
Julie Curbed Her Sweet Tooth, Gained Energy, & Lost 224 LBS with Shakeology
Rachel Now Has Energy to Keep Up With Her Kids & Lost 110 LBS with Shakeology
Becca Gained Energy & Lost 105 LBS with Shakeology
Joel went from Hopeless & Super Morbidly to Losing Over 200 LBS with Shakeology
Sophie Says Shakeology Delivered on All It's Promises & Lost 54 LBS
Casey Got Off Several Medications with Shakeology
Jacqueline No Longer Struggles with Diabetes Thanks to Shakeology
Jonathan's Eating Habits & Health Improved. Plus He Lost 160 LBS with Shakeology
Kami No Longer Eats Junk in the Morning & Lost 40 LBS with Shakeology
Bart Can't Imagine Going a Day Without Shakeology! He Lost 86 LBS with Shakeology!
Amanda Gained More Energy & Lost 36.3 LBS with Shakeology
Corinne Loves the Nutrition in Shakeology & She Lost 27 LBS.
Kim Has a Crazy Amount of Energy & Lost 39 LBS with Shakeology
Jennifer Improved Her Nail Psoriasis & Lost 35 LBS with Shakeology
Heather Enjoys a Healthy Breakfast Now & She Lost 20 LBS with Shakeology
Otherwise, Shakeology is a prefect health shake because it covers everything we talked about earlier.
1. Shakeology is only allowed to be sold by Team Beachbody Coaches and Beachbody directly. You will never find it in stores like WalMart, GNC, or anywhere else. Plus, by buying Shakeology here, you get a 30 Day Money Back Guarantee!
2. The Shakeology ingredients includes only whole foods for it’s nutrition and does not make use of FDA loop holes. In fact, Beachbody took over 3 years of research and development to create Vanilla Shakeology with actual Vanilla beans sourced from Madagascar.
3. From the very beginning, Beachbody refused to use any soy in their shakes because they don’t believe in using GMO foods. Instead, Beachbody used ultra-fine brown rice protein and blended it with sacha inchi, quinoa, chia, flax, amaranth, and spirulina to create their Vegan flavors.
4. Shakeology has no fillers. Every ingredient in Shakeology has a purpose to benefit your health. Nothing is there to trick your body into feeling full. Instead, it’s about providing you with real nutrition that will keep you feeling full.
5. As you saw in the video, Shakeology get’s it’s ingredient from around the world. Places that have not been touched by pesticides and other hazardous farming techniques.
What have been the reported Shakeology benefits?
While every Shakeology review covers different benefits, here’s a list of just a few of them that keep being mentioned over and over:
- Helps With Continuous Weight Loss Over Time (Clinically proven)
- Lowers Cholesterol (Clinically proven)
- Lowers Blood Sugar (Clinically proven)
- Reduces Hunger & Food Cravings
- Promotes Healthier Skin, Hair, and Nails
- Increases Energy
- Boosts Immune System
- Lowers Blood Pressure
- Improves Digestion & Regularity
What do people actually say about Shakeology?
Rachel P. had a tough time keeping up with her kids and life in general. As she kept gaining more and more weight, she felt like she was giving up more and more in life. With Shakeology, she lost 110 pounds and says: “Shakeology has completely changed the way my body feels. I’m no longer tired and falling asleep half way through the day. I have the energy to keep up with my kids.”
Heather B. was always on the go and never really had time to eat healthy. With Shakeology she lost 20 lbs and says: “I am extremely happy to have a quick, convenient and healthy source for breakfast that I do not have time for normally.”
Sophie had trouble finding clothes that looked good AND fit her. With Shakeology and a exercise program, she lost 54 pounds! She says: “There isn’t enough I could say about Shakeology. It has delivered on all of its promises and then some! I find myself looking forward to it more than any other meal!”
Jennifer M. lost 35 lbs and improved her nail psoriasis with Shakeology! She says: “The amount of nutrition packed into one shake can help you achieve your health goals. [My nails] look like real nails again and I am no longer embarrassed to show my hands in front of people.”
- Shakeology Reviews from Everyday People
- Shakeology Goes Through Clinical Studies
- How To Save Money on Shakeology
- How to Buy Shakeology in Canada
- How to Make Money Selling Shakeology & Buy Shakeology Super Cheap
- Beachbody on Demand Review